Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bear Lake-Carlson Reunion 2009

We had such a great time this last week at the Carlson (Pete's mom's family) reunion up at Bear Lake. It was beautiful weather, great company and great food!!
We spent Monday night catching up with family we haven't seen in almost 7 years. Then, we listened to grandpa Carlson tell us the infamous story of 'Ole Ephrium. It's a family tradition and I am amazed at how much I enjoy it still every time I hear him tell it. It's fun to see the boys get into the story and watch their eyes light up when he cocks the old rifle (not loaded, of course) as he describes how the bear was hunted and finally killed.
Tuesday and Wednesday were spent either in the pool at the Bed and Breakfast we rented or on the beach. Zachary, in particular was in the water unless he was eating or sleeping. He is a total fish. Which, by the way, explains why he got more sunburned than anyone else despite my best efforts to keep him lathered with sunscreen!
We also got Le Beau's famous raspberry shakes both days and revelled in the creamy texture not created anywhere else. Mmmmm...my mouth is watering just typing this! :)
We had a family talent show on Wed. night and Christian stood up and took questions from the family on rocks...which happens to be his obsession and speciality! He loved the questions and surprised even me with his extensive knowledge. He wants to be a geologist when he grows up!
I feel so blessed and grateful to have married into such a marvelous family!!! They are so loving, accepting, generous, guileless and truly Christlike people...all of them. I am grateful for the relationships I have been able to benefit from in the Carlson family.
I look so forward to our Porter (my mom's side of the family) reunion in AZ this Dec. !!
These relationships and memories are so much of what we take with us when we leave our mortal bodies and move on. I am determined to create more of these memories in my life and with my own family!!

1 comment:

  1. now that my mouth is watering!!! those shakes are MY FAVE!!! looks like you guys had tons of fun. Bear Lake is still one of my favorite places!!!

    ReplyDelete